Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sticky Advertising

In the Tipping Point, sticky advertising is described as alliteration, reptition, and most importantly something striking and something that catches the attention of the audience and gets them involved. One of the examples in the Tipping Point uses the slogan from Winston cigarretes, "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should." Gladwell states that to this day, if you say Winston tastes good, most americans can finish the sentence by saying like a cigarette shold. He claims that this is a prime example of sticky advertising. I think a good example of a sticky ad would be something provacative that will make you remember the commercial or the ad. I think that recent ad featuring Serena Williams advertising a video game is very sticky. It's extremely provacative and it made me remember about what she was advertising after thinking about the commercial. The shamwow commercials are also very sticky since they use repition throughout.

Shamwow Commercial
Top Spin 4 AD

3 comments:

  1. I found the same definition of "sticky" after reading through the Tipping Point. I agree that the advertisement must be repetitive and include a provocative image or message in order for it to remain in the viewer's mind. I feel that your two examples of sticky advertising are extremely sticky. Serena Williams' commerical is provacative, to say the least. There is no doubt it will remain in the audience's minds. The shamwow commercial was sticky as well. Because it had already stuck in my mind from its first airing, I had already known what the commerical was, thus proving its stickiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your examples of "sticky" advertising. The ShamWow commercial is very sticky to me because it's repetitive and well, to be honest, absolutely ridiculous and over dramatic. But hey, it sticks! Many of my friends mock and criticize the commercial for this, but that only makes it even more sticky. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sham Wow ad most definatly is a sticky ad. I not only remember it for the actual product but for the sales man Vince. I thought at first it was a joke but after seeing the whole commercial I noticed, of course, that it was a real sales pitch. I love the commercial because the product is interesting in and around itself; but also because of how the product was spoken about in the commercial by Vince.

    ReplyDelete